To avoid accidents it is vital to have a realistic understanding of your own abilities in and on the Sea, and to seek advice before going on in or near the sea if you are not fully aware of the local conditions. As a parent you must take all this on board, and add the responsibility for your children.
Whether swimming, fishing or just paddling DO NOT GO ALONE:
If trouble occurs there could be no one else on hand to help. If an emergency does occur then prompt action is needed, and such action must be taken quickly, decisively and without panic,
If you should fall into the water and cannot reach safety:
- STAY CALM,
- DO NOT PANIC and resist the temptation to struggle
- Try to float on your back
- ATTRACT ATTENTION BY WAVING ONE ARM AND
SHOUTING FOR HELP
- When a rescuer arrives remain calm and do not clutch hold of them – do not try and DROWN your rescuer – let them take charge
If you see someone in difficulties, DO NOT go in the water or attempt rescue, however good a swimmer you may be, – you may become overwhelmed and twice the liability for the rescue services. Other methods of rescue are usually safer for the victim and the would be rescuer.
- TRY AND GET SOMEONE ELSE TO WATCH THE CASUALTY WITH YOU.
- NEVER LET THE CASUALTY OUT OF YOUR SIGHT – If you do you may not be able to locate them again,
- IF POSSIBLE THROW A FLOATING OBJECT TO THE CASUALTY– A lifebuoy or even a spare car tyre secured with some rope or even an upturned bucket for them to hold onto – THE BRIGHTER THE BETTER.
- Try to find someone nearby who will help you by telephoning 112 or 999 and ask for COASTGUARD – they will activate and co-ordinate Lifeboats, Helicopters, Mobile units and Ambulance services.
- Give the exact location and a brief description of what is happening and what action is being taken and if possible the nearest road access point if known. If there are people watching instruct one of them to go to meet the rescue services at the nearest access point and direct them to the scene.
ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT; YOU DO NOT WANT TO BECOME ANOTHER CASUALTY STATISTIC!